British Holocaust revisionist and pseudo-historian David Irving, originally invited to the Lillehammer literature festival, arrived in Oslo on Monday, in spite of the festival’s cancellation last autumn, according to Norwegian news site ABC Nyheter (in Norwegian).
The initial festival programme contained an Irving lecture on the concept of truth, later to be withdrawn on account of massive protests.
It’s been rumoured later that Mr. Irving intended to attend regardless. He is currently confirmed present in Oslo, on his way to Lillehammer.
“Yes, I’m in Oslo, saying ‘tusen takk’ [thank you] wherever I go,” he says, trying to keep a low profile for security reasons.
His presence during the literature festival has been uncertain for some time, as none of the Lillehammer hotels have been willing to accommodate him, but he now claims having friends in the area who are prepared to house him.
David Irving is scheduled to hold a speech alongside the official festival programme.
A brief update on Tuesday 26 May: Up until now there’s been precious little mentioning of Mr. Irving’s visit in Norwegian news, save for these two nationals yesterday (both in Norwegian):
Granted several regional and local newspapers picked up on the news, too, but the above two remained alone on the national arena.
Recent news however has it that Mr. Irving was met by a number of protesters in Oslo today, which is always of a certain interest for a sensation-driven press. I’ll try to keep the list as up to date as possible (all still in Norwegian):
- David Irving møtt av demonstranter i Oslo – db.no
- Her kommer David Irving til TV 2 – tv2nyhetene.no
- – Vi skal fotfølge Irwing [sic] uansett – VG Nett
- Minst én person pågrepet under Irving-demonstrasjon – db.no
- TV 2 betaler Irvings norgesreise – db.no
- TV 2 betalte Irvings Norges-reise – VG Nett/NTB
- David Irving: – Hitler utpekte meg til sin biograf – tv2nyhetene.no
- TV2 [sic] betalte for Irvings Norges-reise – vl.no/NTB
- Irving måtte ta sidedøren til TV2 [sic] – vl.no/NTB
- – Jeg var ikke invitert som løgner – vl.no
- Men hva er usant? – vl.no
- Irving på vei hjem til London nå – db.no
- Irving har forlatt landet – VG Nett
- Holocaustsenteret trakk seg fra TV2-debatt [sic] – VG Nett
- David Irving til VG Nett: – Prøv å motbevis meg – VG Nett
- Irving: Jeg reiser hjem nå – vl.no
- Overlevde Auscwhitz – fortvilt over TV2 [sic] – vl.no
- Irving på vei tilbake til Storbritannia – tv2nyhetene.no
- Norsk professor: – Irving er en amatørhistoriker – tv2nyhetene.no
- David Irving: Nordmenn samarbeidet med tyskerne i stort omfang – tv2nyhetene.no
- Lønnsomt Norges-besøk for David Irving – VG Nett
- – Undercover i min egen by – db.no
It’s been argued that Irving’s cause gains less by a silent press, with which I have to agree. Personally I’m more curious as to whom his Norwegian cohorts might be, which is something that further press coverage may indeed unearth.
For a peek into David Irving’s repulsive, however irrelevant, mindset, please have a look at this, recorded last summer: